Render Markdown from any public GitHub repo or gist, handling syntax highlighting on the server.
- Zero-build websites. As soon as you push changes to GitHub, it’s available to be directly served! No CMS, no build pipeline, and no dependencies to keep up to date.
- Great for documentation websites. In fact, our own API docs use it.
- Create a home page for your open source project — just load the Markdown readme alongside the code in your repo.
- Service is stateless. Just uses HTTP. You pass in exactly what parameters you need: the GitHub repo, SHA, and path to the file you want to render.
- Runs on the edge which means very low latency for end users so they get a great user experience.
- Renders syntax highlighting for code blocks on the server. This means there’s no need to run highlight.js in your user’s browser, you just need to load the CSS.
- Responses (will soon) be cached like a CDN.
- Unique git tags or SHA must be used in URLs, as we can confidently cache those forever. Links like
https://collected.press/github/facebook/reactare redirected to a URL with the latest SHA like
https://collected.press/github/facebook/react@6e2f38f3a4d58f11bbe86ca6f938c27767366967/. We do the equivalent of
git fetchto get the latest
HEADSHA for you.
- React: https://collected.press/github/facebook/react/README.md
- React’s Changelog: https://collected.press/github/facebook/react/CHANGELOG.md
- Night Owl CSS: https://collected.press/github/highlightjs/highlight.js@4c1f2b7f9a13ba3263b140c11524bd934d3b93bf/src/styles/night-owl.css
- Really Long Readme: https://collected.press/github/avelino/awesome-go@8d309904a16bf60d2f4b30ecf99b226554580cdd/README.md
- TailwindCSS: https://collected.press/github/tailwindlabs/tailwindcss
These routes are conveniently short, and redirect to the latest SHA. Markdown and source code files are rendered as styled HTML.
- Repo Readme: https://collected.press/1/github/RoyalIcing/yieldmachine@4478530fc40c3bf1208f8ea477f455ad34da308d/readme.md
- Gist: https://collected.press/1/github/gist/gaearon/e7d97cdf38a2907924ea12e4ebdf3c85
These routes have the prefix
1, and require a specific SHA. Markdown files are rendered as HTML without styles or any
- React’s latest SHA: https://collected.press/1/github/facebook/react/refs/HEAD
- React’s tags: https://collected.press/1/github/facebook/react/refs/tags
- Runs on Cloudflare Workers.
- Fetches data from GitHub and jsDelivr.
markdown-itfor Markdown parsing and rendering.
npm ci make dev # Open http://localhost:4321